Tuesday, April 12, 2011

No Smoking (Between Cigarettes)

We took a 16-hour overnight train back to Kyiv. We were both looking a bit forward to the train because our train ride out of Kyiv was quite nice and it is one of the very, very few places that does not allow smoking (I have never seen so many cigarette smokers in my life! I can't imagine that the life expectancy is too great here). Well, "No Smoking" (on the train) apparently translates to "No Smoking Between Cigarettes". And our sleeping car was right next to the bathroom where everyone went to smoke. After a while we were so beside ourselves that everytime we heard someone go into the bathroom, I would yell out "Don't smoke!". I assumed I was pretty safe since I said it in English. And, go figure, it didn't really work! In addition to the smoking on the train, the train & ride itself was not nearly as nice. Boo...

As the trian pulled out of our son's region, the skyline was dotted with smoke stacks from all the industry. And there were massive amounts of crumbled building and trash, trash, trash everywhere. Even the functional building are crumbling. It's oppressive. And I thought to myself "it is not possible to doubt or second-guess that removing an orphan child from this environment is the right thing". Life in American will initially be hard and challenging but as I look in the depths of my sons sparkling blue eyes and I watch him play and be briliant, I know that he is more than Mariupol, Ukraine, can give him. And then there was one of the most gorgeous rainbows I've ever seen.

Our purpose in returning to Kyiv is to request and obtain a referral from the SDA to go to Nastya's orphanage. We arrived early this morning but didn't get our appointment today as we'd hoped. So we hope it will happen tomorrow and that we will aslo be able to pick up the referral the same day (usually it is the following business day - I don't know what makes us think we're speacial other than we're sick to death of cigarette smoke - don't ask me how those two are related...).

As far as I know, we've submitted everything that needs to be submitted to request a court date for our son. But really, our markers for progressing toward coming home are our procedings Nastya as she is our second and when we're done with everything for her, we're done!

We are currently enjoying the almost civilized feeling of Kyiv. We went to a three-story mall (where, yes, they smoke inside!) and I got my hair colored (thank goodness no one was smoking in the salon). We might even venture out again for food tonight (although we'll probably bring it back to the apartment that is "smoke free" (mind you, I did not say it is "second-hand smoke free" - there simply is no such thing in Ukraine).

On a buracratic note: Several people have inquired about more detail regarding the alert issued last week by the US Embassy that the division of Ukrainian government overseeing adoptions is changing. I have to say that I don't know anything more that what has been in the statements issued by the embassy. If there's concrete good or bad news, I don't know of it. I've tried to email those who could help interpret/shed light but I cannot send or reply to email. So I tried sending facebook messages to inboxes but no one have replied to the several messages I have sent. And surely I not being ingored! Anyway, if I found out anyhing else, I will share it. It's seems though, that for now, it's business as usual (whatever that is!). That said, an extra prayer in this regard wouldn't hurt.

Please say a prayer for the Golic family who lost thier young son, Ben, recently. I don't know this family well but they hosted one of the children from our summer program last year and have stayed in contact with our support group and are engaged in Ukraine missions. I don't know for sure, but I think Ben had some chronic medical conditions but his death was unexpected. And they are, rightfully so, overwhelmed with grief.

Blessings & rainbows to all............

3 comments:

  1. Be hopeful, we were able to get our appt. and our referral the same day for our second child, so you just never know. Still praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping and praying the best for your Family... Thank you for sharing this amazing story..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the detailed blogs, trying to get a sense of what we will be doing...we are following you...literally...we are also adopting 2 children, same agency, same hosting program, one in Mariupol and one in Krivoy Rog... Our dossier was submitted 2 weeks ago, just waiting for our travel date...praying for you and the very best/most efficient path for you :)

    ReplyDelete